Monday, November 16, 2015

WWJD?

I have been pondering a lot of things this weekend. Ever since the news of the terrorist attack in Paris broke on Friday night. Why is there so much evil in the world? What should I as a Christian think and do about all of this? What should my country be doing about this?

Since I am a Christian my thoughts have been, What Would Jesus Do? He would just know the right thing to do. His love for ever human life is so much more then we mere mortals can even begin to comprehend.

The why is there so much evil in the world is also easy for me to figure out as a Christian. The evil in the world is because of the devil. He wants to destroy us. He wants us to lose our faith in God. The devil wants to destroy every aspect of our lives. And for me one of the easiest ways for the devil to turn me away from my faith is by me not doing what God has taught me to do.

I know there is a great fear among many many people in America about letting any Syrian refugees into our country. It's just a Trojan horse, they are sneaking in to kill us. All Muslims must be killed because there is no such thing as a good Muslim. All Muslims want to wipe out Christianity. As long as any refugees are in this country we are not safe.

First of all, guess what folks, we aren't safe regardless. How many people throughout the history of our country have been killed by so called Christians? How many have been killed by people of other religions, or of no religion at all? This is our temporary home. If you believe in Heaven then you know your days on this earth are numbered.

We are here to spread the word of God. The best way to spread that word is through love and compassion. By being examples. Why would anyone want to become a Christian when all they see is fear and hate? There are days when I see the hate being spewed all over the internet that I wonder
why I am even a Christian. But I am because I love God and he loves me. Jesus died on the cross for my sins, and for every other human being ever! All he asks is that you believe in him. He doesn't make you, he allows each and everyone of us to make up our own minds.

How can I be a Christian and turn my back on people in need? What would Jesus do?

The following is from Genesis 18:16 - 33
22 The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.[d] 23 Then Abraham approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked?24 What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare[e]the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”
26 The Lord said, “If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.
27 Then Abraham spoke up again: “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, 28 what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city for lack of five people?”
“If I find forty-five there,” he said, “I will not destroy it.”
29 Once again he spoke to him, “What if only forty are found there?”
He said, “For the sake of forty, I will not do it.”
30 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?”
He answered, “I will not do it if I find thirty there.”
31 Abraham said, “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?”
He said, “For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it.”
32 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?”
He answered, “For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.”
33 When the Lord had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Doesn't that section make it clear? If there are even ten God would save the whole. These refugees may or may not be Christians. But what if our love, our compassion towards them makes them decide to become Christian? What if we just sentenced them to hell? When instead we could have opened the gates of Heaven for them? Do I think some if not a lot of bad people will enter this country to try and harm us? Of course I do. But evil will find a way in, it always does. But I am not going to allow my fear to make me stop from being the person God wants me to be. I want to show the love of God by example. If I die because of this, then I have died for my faith. I will not kill or sentence anyone to death because of my faith or my fear.
Should these extremists be eliminated? Yes, I take the thought of any death with a heavy heart, but those who are truly evil? They need to be stopped. But stopping innocent people from seeking shelter because of the potential for evil? Well that makes us exactly what the terrorists want their followers to see us as. If we can't open our hearts to them when they need us the most, why should they see us as anything but cruel and evil? 
This is going to sound corny but I have been watching Girl Meets World on the Disney channel. One of the things Cory has taught his students is that people change people. Do you want to change them for the good? Or do you want to allow them to change you for the bad? 
WWJD?

No comments:

Post a Comment